The handmade movement is a wonderful way to support American Small Business and have a personalized experience by purchasing a handmade Christmas Tree Skirt. There are so many choices, how do you make a wise decision? Buying a quality tree skirt is an investment and it is important you purchase quality that will last. Here is what you should know:
1. Upholstery grade burlap. Upholstery grade has a straighter and tighter weave for a visibly superior product. No strong burlap odor, upholstery grade burlap has been cleaned during the manufacturing process. Many other tree skirts are made using craft grade burlap, or faux burlap which is really polyester, the difference is night and day. Burlap is made from the jute plant and is a natural fiber that has been around for thousands of years.
2. Fully Lined. Lining creates a luxurious, substantial product that will stand the test of time. The lining almost completely eliminates any burlap shedding on your floor. Craft grade, unlined tree skirts can leave quite a mess on your floor and many are not made to last year after year.
3. Make sure it's round. What? Sounds pretty basic, shouldn't they all be round? You may be surprised to find how many handmade tree skirts are not very round.
4. Does the tree skirt lie flat? Again sounds like a given, but if the skirt is out of round and the trim goes in and out unevenly on the edge, you will see tree skirts that do not lie flat and have that unprofessional look.
5. Look for a trim that is consistent and does not look thinner in parts and thicker in others, there is a lot of skill that goes into achieving a professional, consistent, quality look.
6. If you are looking for a pom-pom trimmed tree skirt, make sure it is trimmed with home decor, professional grade pom pom's. Many out there use more of a craft grade product. My tree skirts are lined, most others on the market are just turned under on the edge for a much less substantial product that you can see right through.
7. Be sure all edges are serged with a safety stitch to prevent fraying, so your tree skirt will last for years to come. This can only be accomplished with a specialized sewing machine that does this kind of stitch.
8. Hidden Closures. Who wants to draw attention to the back opening? Discreet hidden closures are a must.
9.Compare turn around times. Fast turn around for in stock tree skirts can ship out the same day or next business day if they are not personalized. With personalization, it should take an additional 1-2 business days for established sellers. This is great if your tree skirt is a gift for newlyweds or a wedding gift.
10. Last but most importantly, buy from a reputable seller. Look for someone who has a good track record, and one that has been around for a long time. Check out their reviews and number of sales. The higher the number is usually an indicator of a quality product, good quality control and best of all, happy, satisfied customers. As in most things in life, you get what you pay for.
(The Burlap Cottage® has been making quality handmade Christmas Tree Skirts for many years and have thousands of happy customers)