Here is one of my before and after’s. This kitchen hutch started out as nursery furniture that served us well for two babies. It was a changing table with the hutch on top.
It was very good furniture, so I was reluctant to just donate it or even consign it and get next to nothing. So I decided to refinish it. If it came out the way I envisioned it would, I would use it as a kitchen hutch in our eating area. Our home has so little storage, that I thought a storage piece could help.
Here’s the after:
I was going for a “just found this in a barn somewhere in a Provence farmhouse sort of look”.
Here’s how I did this:
Annie Sloan chalk paint!
For those of you who haven’t heard of this miracle paint, it is created by Annie Sloan a decorative painter who has perfected the french patina and other looks. You can only get this from a stockist, and we have an amazing one here in San Antonio, Jennifer at Woodley Cottage in Bracken Village. If you are in the San Antonio area, you must stop by. Her cottage is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. Check it out sometime.
The first thing I did was added beadboard wallpaper to the back of the hutch – yes wallpaper! I ordered a roll of Grahm and Brown wallpaper off the internet. I applied it per the instructions and it adhered great. I used calking on all of the edges, as well as on any areas of the hutch where it meets the dresser so it will all look like one piece when I’m done.
Then I took one drawer out and practiced, practiced, practiced until I got the finish I was going for. The colors of paint I used were French Linen for the beadboard and inside of the hutch, and pure white for everything else. I did 3 coats of pure white, but in retrospect probably only needed two. Then I waxed everything with clear wax. Something you should know about Annie Sloan paint, is that you can put it over almost anything without priming or sanding, however, it will leave a texture or brush strokes. But that was the look I was going for on this piece. The rest of my kitchen will be a clean white (one day when I finally get my kitchen reno), so I wanted this piece to look a bit rustic and antique for some character. After I buffed the clear wax, I added just a little bit of dark wax with a very dry brush and just worked it into any lines in the furniture. What I did next is what I think made all of the difference: I tinted some clear wax with a very small amount of French Linen and then worked it into all of the grooves, texture and brush strokes all over the piece. Then I put another coat of clear wax and buffed. This process took the better part of a week, and lots of elbow grease, but I do think the end result came out even better than I had imaginged.
Another think I should mention is the hardware. I changed that by getting these copper bin pulls and library pulls at Anthropologie. They have an artisan that designs these pulls and I just love everything she does. They carry a book on all of her creations, but her name escapes me at the moment. Will update her name next time I run across it. Anywho, it required me to fill the center holes on each pull and drill two new holes for each new pull, but that was no problem my hubby has taught me how to use the power drill and screwdriver and now I am dangerous! hehehe!
Here’s another before:
And the after:
Thanks for visiting! I am linking up to: