Cherry Blossom Branch Wall Mural Tutorial
About two years ago, we went to Japan and fell in love with the country. As you may know, we do a lot of traveling due to my husband’s line of work. So when we renovated my daughter’s room, I created a subtle travel theme. Between trying to keep her room as dust free as possible for her asthma, and with a nod to Japan, I thought I would try my hand at a wall mural (no
dust catchers accessories above her head). It really came out of frustration with not being able to find vinal or stencil’s that I wanted. All of the vinal decals I could find were too “cartoony”, or were more suited for a nursery than a tween’s room. I could picture it perfectly in my head, but what was in my head did not exist in the marketplace. I want this design to have some longevity, so I was looking for something a bit more realistic (as realistic as a mural can be) and sophisticated to take her into her teen years. Sooo, many times my best creations are borne out of necessity or a design problem. Also, designing on a budget, you HAVE TO get creative!
First, I painted just the inside of her sleeping area a color called “Spaqua” from Lowes, Valspar.
I have a Silhouette, and downloaded a design that was a good jumping off point. I enlarged it until it was the correct scale for my space. Then I printed it, section by section, (more of an art than science) and taped them up on the wall:
Here’s a close up:
Then I used some chalk transfer paper (I already had some on hand for sewing projects) between the design and the wall, and traced the design with a pencil. Once that was done, this is where I took some creative license. I changed, added and enhanced the branches to suite my taste. Then comes the paint. I wanted something opaque, so it would stand out a bit from the blue. I came up with “vanilla bean” craft paint by Martha Stewart for the branch. I softened it a bit with some gold accents and highlighted the branch.
Then I practiced, practiced, practiced with a practice board on my cherry blossoms. I suggest trying it on a board or paper first. It is much easier to start over on a board or paper than on the wall.
I watched some Youtube tutorials, but ended up not using any of the techniques on there, again not the look I was going for. Finally, I came up with a flower that I thought looked realistic enough.
First, I freehanded the outline of the flowers with a white craft paint pen, I bought at HobLob.
Then I took more Martha craft paint in white, and with a paint brush, filled in each petal. Very time consuming, but I have more time than budget for this project, so off I went.
Next, I filled in with some detail by adding the fuchsia pink center’s and also added more gold. And it is finished!
Time consuming, but gratifying. I will be sharing more projects from DD’s room as I complete them, and I will post on the final reveal of the entire room when it is finished.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my Cherry Blossoms On A Branch Tutorial!